Sharjah, UAE: Doctors recently treated a newborn baby for life-threatening bacterial poisoning after he was brought to University Hospital Sharjah in a critical condition.
The specialised paediatric team at the hospital treated the baby, who, after responding well to treatment, was discharged from the hospital a week later.
The baby was diagnosed with life-threatening bacterial poisoning resulting from hypoxemia caused by vasogenic shock, poisoning, and low vascular perfusion that led to bluish limbs due to the lack of adequate oxygen. The baby’s life was at serious risk.
Examinations showed the baby was suffering from infection and was immediately given antibiotics and intravenous fluids.
UHS medical director Prof Hakam Al Yaseen said: “About 30 per cent of bacterial infections in newborn babies cannot be detected in the lab. There are two types of bacteria — Streptococcus and Escherichia Coli — which often cause this inflammatory syndrome.
“Rapid breathing is the most common symptom. The baby was immediately referred to the intensive care unit as this life-threatening case required urgent intervention.”
He said rapid breathing in a newborn baby is not abnormal, and babies often recover within two hours but “if the condition continues longer, immediate medical intervention is required.”
Dr Al Yaseen clarified: “This bacterium can be easily transmitted to any baby without any specific cause — even the most advanced medical centres in the world are not capable of identifying the cause.” He said treatment depends on skilled diagnosis and close follow up adding that lab reports also “play a role in keeping the medical team updated on the progress of the patient’s condition”.
© Khaleej TimesDec 2013