Send me more jobs like this Get Email Alert
This position is responsible for basic ophthalmic and diagnostic testing, prescribing and fitting glasses, contact lens and/or low vision aids and ensuring the delivery of patient care in an effective manner.
- Performs procedures as directed by the physician or supervisor which may include testing visual acuity, tonometry, lensometry, ocular motility, pupil assessment, color vision, topography, visual field testing, pachymetry, keratometry, objective/subjective refraction and stereo acuity.
- Obtains patient information, updates patient history and determines purposes of visit
- Records data into patient’s electronic medical record
- Refers gathered information to ophthalmologist for further examination, diagnosis or treatment.
- Prescribes, supplies, fits and adjusts eyeglasses, contact lenses and other vision aids.
- Educates and counsels patients on insertion, removal and care of contact lenses.
- Educates and advises patients on proper use of low vision aids.
- Oversees incoming contact lens and low vision orders ensuring accuracy and timely delivery to patients.
- Consults with and refers patients to an ophthalmologist or other health professional when additional medical treatment is determined to be necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience post certification in related field; preferrably in hospital setting.
- Strong critical thinking skills and decisive judgment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to speak and write in English is required
- Ability to speak and write in both English and Arabic is preferred
- Specialty in contact lenses or visual rehabilitation is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Optometry (minimum three (3) years duration) is required
- Current national professional registration is required
- Master’s degree in a related field is preferred