Send me more jobs like this Get Email Alert
The role of the medical dosimetrist encompasses supporting and assisting the radiotherapy department in all aspects of its workflow from referral, treatment delivery to follow up. This will involve all aspects of treatment planning, overseeing technical aspects of simulations and issues with patient setups, working with the radiation oncologist with contouring of organs, assisting the medical physicist with with QA and other physics duties.
The medical dosimetrist shall adhere to these tasks according to established departmental practises and standards.
- Confirm the identity of the patient, images and clinical records before initiating treatment planning
- Utilizing CT, MRI, and PET images, fuses and creates 3D and 4D reconstructions
- Demonstrates and able to identify and contour anatomical structures off the 3D and 4D reconstructions.
- Confirm the location of region of interests to be treated
- Able to produce Rapid ARC , IMRT, 3D, and 2D treatment plans utilizing appropriate constraints
- Technical resource in evaluating patient setups for radiotherapy treatments
- Competent in mold room work such as making electron cut-outs and bolus, taking into account safe working practices
- Recognizing and assessing treatment discrepancies and ability to take appropriate actions to determine whether treatment can proceed or further action is required.
- Review any deviations from the protocol and take appropriate action
- Maintain QA procedures for treatment plans – such as weekly chart checks, morning QA procedures, treatment reviewed and treatment approval checks.
- Ability to investigate and problem solve patient clinical issues, including critical thinking skills.
- Assists the medical Physicist as needed
- Ability to adapt and implement new treatment techniques.
- Recognize situations where you need to seek advice/support from appropriate sources and respond appropriately, e.g. where competency required exceeds your personal level of competence or where there is reason for concern about the patient’s suitability for the prescribed treatment.
- Expert in applications in Eclipse treatment planning