The respiratory therapist have the following responsibilities
1. Perform assessments on patients with disease process that would require respiratory care;
2. Perform diagnostic procedures to help in the diagnosis of the patient’s cardio pulmonary status.
This includes but not limited to arterial blood gas analysis, capilliary blood gas sampling, pulmonary
function testing, capnography, oximetry;
3. Manage/ monitor patients on advance life support( e.g. conventional and non-conventional
mechanical ventilation as well as (HFV) High Frequency Ventilation.
4. Perform basic and advance airway management;
5. Make initial assessments on patients who will require supplemental oxygen using the appropriate
6. Establishes the need and perform aerosol/ bronchodilator therapy following respiratory care
7. Establishes need and perform chest physical therapy to unstable patients;
8. Establishes need and perform lung expansion therapy to unstable patients according to respiratory care protocol;
9. Performs advance life support(ACLS) as part of the code blue team within the critical and
10. Provide surfactant replacement therapy;
11. Provide Nitric Oxide Therapy.
12. Intra / Inter Hospital transport of mechanically ventilated patients.
13. Make proper documentation of all patient contact and procedures performed;
14. Supervises and provide guidance to Respiratory Technician.
15. Serves as a resource person to other members of the allied health care team with regards to
16. Provide in-service training to respiratory care staff and other allied health care members;
17. Ensures that a safe working environment is maintained;
18. Provide respiratory home care education to patients and family members.
19. Actively participate in Quality Improvement Program of the hospital/department.
20. Update his/her skills or knowledge in patient management.
21. Adheres to policies and procedures of the institution.
– Bsc degree from an accreditation program or equivalent qualification of NLT 3 years duration, or graduate of an accredited program leading to registration as a respiratory therapist by the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (C.S.R.T.) or the National Board for Respiratory Care (USA) as registered respiratory therapist (R.R.T.)
– Current National License
– Must be certified in Basic Life Support (BLS) with Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and/or Pediatric Life Support (PLS) recommended
– Must pass HAAD (Health Authority – Abu Dhabi) Licensing exam.
– Not less than two (2) years as respiratory therapist.
– Good knowledge of written and spoken English. Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
– Good interpersonal skills;
– Must pass and up to date with all departmental/ hospital competencies (as applicable).
Bsc degree from an accreditation program or equivalent qualification of NLT 3 years duration.