Trauma hospital opens in Mumbai’s western suburbs
Mumbai: A new trauma care hospital was opened in Jogeshwari East on Monday to cater for the needs of people living in the suburbs.
Expected to take the load off major hospitals in the western suburbs, the 14-storeyed, 304-bed hospital built by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) will cater to accident victims, but beds have also been reserved for other patients too.
It also has 10 per cent beds reserved for patients who wish to pay extra for private rooms.
The hospital has been named after the late Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray and is called Hinduhridaysamrat Balasaheb Thackeray Trauma Care Hospital.
It was inaugurated by party president Uddhav Thackeray in the presence of Sena’s alliance leaders Gopinath Munde of the BJP and Ramdas Athawale of Republican Party of India.
Expected to become fully functional in two months time, the hospital will be an addition to the renovated Shatabdi Hospital of the BMC in Kandivali and share some of its burden. This is the first BMC-run hospital that will use solar panels to help in reduce electricity consumption. A total of 160 solar panels will heat 20,000 litres of water daily.
Apart from treating accident victims, the hospital will also treat paediatric, gynaecology and orthopaedic patients.
“There are seven neonatal intensive care units, 15 gynaecology beds and 30 orthopaedic beds for patients,” said BMC additional municipal commissioner Manisha Mhaiskar. “We have also ensured there is scope for expansion.”
The Rs1.25 billion (Dh74 million) hospital project will be included in the Sion group of hospitals, which means the dean of the two hospitals will be the same and there will be exchange of doctors. A similar trauma care centre will built in the eastern suburbs in Bhandup, but that project is expect to take another four years before completion.
© Gulf News
- UAE Healthy Kidney run in New York on May 30
- Spark of hope for the mentally ill in Lebanon
- 400 eye surgeries conducted in Morocco
- Unlicensed duo perform plastic surgery on woman
- Tackling UAE’s obesity problem is more complex than you may think
Comments for Trauma hospital opens in Mumbai’s western suburbs
- 1Sheikh Mohammed shows support at Pink Caravan breast cancer ride
- 224-hour poison centre in the UAE would cut mistreated cases
- 3Amman Hospital successfully conducts bioabsorbable coronary stent implantation
- 4Health Precautions Advised During Sandstorms
- 5Qatar sets up field hospital in Nepal
- 6Young girl with blood condition has wish come true with Dubai day out
- 7Al Mafraq Dialysis Centre eases strain on overloaded healthcare system
- 8Oman has 5,444 doctors serving at 244 health centres
- 9Prevention of cervical cancer: Zulekha Hospital Dubai
- 1013 successful transplant operations in two weeks