Trauma hospital opens in Mumbai’s western suburbsMumbai: A new trauma care hospital was opened in Jogeshwari East on Monday to cater for the needs of people living in the suburbs.
Expected to take the load off major hospitals in the western suburbs, the 14-storeyed, 304-bed hospital built by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) will cater to accident victims, but beds have also been reserved for other patients too.
It also has 10 per cent beds reserved for patients who wish to pay extra for private rooms.
The hospital has been named after the late Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray and is called Hinduhridaysamrat Balasaheb Thackeray Trauma Care Hospital.
It was inaugurated by party president Uddhav Thackeray in the presence of Sena’s alliance leaders Gopinath Munde of the BJP and Ramdas Athawale of Republican Party of India.
Expected to become fully functional in two months time, the hospital will be an addition to the renovated Shatabdi Hospital of the BMC in Kandivali and share some of its burden. This is the first BMC-run hospital that will use solar panels to help in reduce electricity consumption. A total of 160 solar panels will heat 20,000 litres of water daily.
Apart from treating accident victims, the hospital will also treat paediatric, gynaecology and orthopaedic patients.
“There are seven neonatal intensive care units, 15 gynaecology beds and 30 orthopaedic beds for patients,” said BMC additional municipal commissioner Manisha Mhaiskar. “We have also ensured there is scope for expansion.”
The Rs1.25 billion (Dh74 million) hospital project will be included in the Sion group of hospitals, which means the dean of the two hospitals will be the same and there will be exchange of doctors. A similar trauma care centre will built in the eastern suburbs in Bhandup, but that project is expect to take another four years before completion.
© Gulf News
- Second phase of Dubai Healthcare City project launched
- Pink Caravan Ride concludes
- Healthy restaurant initiative to fight child obesity in UAE
- FNC passes food safety draft law
- UAE parents speak out for autism awareness
Comments for Trauma hospital opens in Mumbai’s western suburbs
- 1How to avoid weight gain this festive season
- 2Three big elements of a health lifestyle
- 3Dr. Ibrahim Janahi appointed Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at WCMC – Q
- 4Dubai Pediatrician: Protect your kids from respiratory and gastro-intestinal infections
- 5Women seek alternative therapies during pregnancy and labour
- 6Sleep protein protects from cancer
- 7SCH nod for more private hospitals
- 8New law: Surgeons can’t work for more than eight hours a day
- 9Vitamin A may protect kids from malaria
- 10Ajman university offers first aid courses for families