Dubai, UAE: Dubai Municipality has urged residents to clean cans thoroughly before drinking from them.
There have been cases worldwide of people dying after contracting Leptospirosis — a fatal bacterial disease — after they drank directly from tainted cans.
Rodents, raccoons, cattle, goats are common carriers of a bacteria called Leptospira. When humans come into contact with water contaminated by the urine or body fluids of infected animals, they are infected by the disease.
Basheer Hassan Yousuf, food safety expert at Dubai Municipality’s Food Control Department, reassured residents there were no such cases in the UAE. “But people must take the effort to thoroughly clean cans before drinking from them directly. It is best if people can rinse the can with running water. Ideally the water should flow into any gaps on the top of the can too. But if someone does not have access to water immediately, they can wipe it with a tissue or a dry clean cloth.
© Gulf NewsMay 2013